Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» My First Custom Pc Build
Soapy_Stowned
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Ban AIL!

Group: First Lieutenant
Monies: 5
Member Inventory: View

Donate
Member No.: 54

Rep: 0 pts

Awards: None

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n7nZ8K

I've decided to finally build a gaming PC. This will be the first time building a PC on my own and I'm looking forward to it. So far I have bought the case http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/laugh.gif . I wanted something that will be good now, that I could upgrade later on as well. I went slightly over my $800 budget but I think it was worth it. Thoughts, or if anybody wants to point out any glaring flaws that would be appreciated!

--------------------
Please state you are from botc in the friend request!
3DS FC: 4313-2082-5730 PSN: Soapy_Stowned
Battlenet: SoapyStowned#1707 Steam: Soapy Papoose
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 02:51 PM
Quote Post

rip

Group: Major Generals
Monies: 662067276

Donate
Member No.: 3

Rep: 3 pts

If you wait a bit, you can pick up the RX-480 for cheaper. You have a reseller there trying to make some extra money off of you.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Axwell
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

win

Group: Majors
Monies: 138

Donate
Member No.: 15

Meh on the GPU. I would opt out that 480 for a 290x or 390x if you want to stick to AMD otherwise a nvidia gtx 970 is probs better.

--------------------
Steam

League of Legends(EUW): BB Axwell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN-BUDSHDo
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

The 480 is a cheaper 970.

PM
^
Soapy_Stowned
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Ban AIL!

Donate

The gpu is the last component i plan to buy. I'm definitely not going to pay for an up charge.
PM
^
Soapy_Stowned
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Ban AIL!

Donate

Sorry for double post, but what are the most popular pc games amongst the clan members? Overwatch and the division i guess?
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

Nope,

more like World of Warships and CS GO
PM
^
Soapy_Stowned
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Ban AIL!

Donate

Awww http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/sad.gif Hopefully battlefield 1 will get some people.
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 6 2016, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

but what about Fallout 4...
PM
^
Soapy_Stowned
 Posted: Jul 8 2016, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Ban AIL!

Donate

I plan to get it Fallout 4 as well, but that is single player. I also have it w/ the season pass on PS4 so I'm not in a huge rush to get it. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a one I'm really looking forward to have on PC.
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 8 2016, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

Not in big rush to get Bethesda game on PC, I can fix that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/searchresults/?
PM
^
All_Is_Lost
 Posted: Jul 9 2016, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

#1 BotC member

Group: Joint Chiefs of Staff
Monies: 55686492263

Donate
Member No.: 30

Asteroids Champion!
Breakout Champion!
Pacman Champion!
Snake Champion!
Space Invaders Champion!
Moon Lander Champion!
Hexxagon Champion!

QUOTE (Soapy_Stowned @ Jul 6 2016, 07:20 PM)
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n7nZ8K

I've decided to finally build a gaming PC. This will be the first time building a PC on my own and I'm looking forward to it. So far I have bought the case  http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/laugh.gif . I wanted something that will be good now, that I could upgrade later on as well. I went slightly over my $800 budget but I think it was worth it. Thoughts, or if anybody wants to point out any glaring flaws that would be appreciated!

Personally, I would change the CPU and GPU. You can get a 3.5GHz i5 processor for the same price as your current AMD one, and I would change the 480 for a GTX 970. I haven't seen the video that Kreig posted, but people have had issues for quite a while with AMD CPUs and Radeon GPUs, even though they're capable of running the same type of games. The interface is also much more annoying, from what I've been told. It is mainly about preference though, if you've used AMD/Radeon before and like them then by all means stick with them, but personally I would change them.

Other than that, the build looks pretty good!

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 12 2016, 02:34 AM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

user posted image

Some games run better on Nvidia, however, the video shows the comparison of the RX 480 vs GTX 970, and the RX is much better bang for the buck while only barely being beaten by the 970. Note the RX is only $200 and the 970 is about $70 more. Now, if he stated waiting for a 1060 because it comes out this month and rumored to run like a 980, then I would of congratulated him for doing his homework.

The video I used is from LinusTechTips who are sponsored by multiple companies and review all tech items with no bias towards any company. They show it as it is with charts so one can see a comparison towards similar items.

Now to the processor, I need a link as pcpartpicker could not find this i5 that he stated. The cheapest i5 on there is a dual-core.
PM
^
All_Is_Lost
 Posted: Jul 12 2016, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

#1 BotC member

Group: Joint Chiefs of Staff
Monies: 55686492263

Donate
Member No.: 30

Asteroids Champion!
Breakout Champion!
Pacman Champion!
Snake Champion!
Space Invaders Champion!
Moon Lander Champion!
Hexxagon Champion!

QUOTE (meisterkreig @ Jul 12 2016, 08:34 AM)

The i5 I was talking about wasn't the exact same price, it was about $40 more. But then AMD processors are notorious for overheating compared to Intel processors since they don't use hyperthreading and as such AMD processors consistently score lower on any review rating site than an equivalent Intel processor. While AMD are generally cheaper (mainly because few people buy an AMD processor over $200, people only really buy AMD if they want a cheap processor) the Intel processors are generally thought to be better.

As for the GPU, if you look at the site he posted, his 480 costs him $269.99, while a 970 will cost him $279.99 so anything based on the 480 costing $200 isn't really relevant, if it's costing him the same amount as a 970. As I said, it's mainly due to preference and most people generally prefer Nvidia over Radeon and personally I would pay the extra $10 and get the 970.
PM
^
meisterkreig
 Posted: Jul 12 2016, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

rip

Donate

QUOTE (All_Is_Lost @ Jul 12 2016, 04:38 AM)

The i5 I was talking about wasn't the exact same price, it was about $40 more. But then AMD processors are notorious for overheating compared to Intel processors since they don't use hyperthreading and as such AMD processors consistently score lower on any review rating site than an equivalent Intel processor. While AMD are generally cheaper (mainly because few people buy an AMD processor over $200, people only really buy AMD if they want a cheap processor) the Intel processors are generally thought to be better.

There is a reason that intel's are thought to be better and that is not it. Note, for most cheap to low end gaming pc's, people use AMD over intel as that is where the AMD processors shine. Also note, price difference between the two would have to include motherboards, ram, and upgradability since windows 10 and it's stupid workings. Another note is that AMD processors run hotter but that would be easy to figure out if someone looked at the power consumption but that does not mean overheating as some products are designed to be able to run hotter.

QUOTE (All_Is_Lost @ Jul 12 2016, 04:38 AM)

As for the GPU, if you look at the site he posted, his 480 costs him $269.99, while a 970 will cost him $279.99 so anything based on the 480 costing $200 isn't really relevant, if it's costing him the same amount as a 970. As I said, it's mainly due to preference and most people generally prefer Nvidia over Radeon and personally I would pay the extra $10 and get the 970.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....-480&ignorear=1

In the world, there is something called a reseller who likes to jack the price up on components. If you bothered to read in the thread before, you would of noticed that we talked about this there as well. An example of this would be the intel i7 6700k which was announced to sell at $330 but was on the market for $400 for the longest time. It has just recently got down to $350.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Off Topic | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Reply to this topicFast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Bloody Darkness by Kman